Friday, May 11, 2012

Day Twenty

I woke up and hit the road early yesterday morning. I had a ticket for the A's game in Oakland at 7 and I knew it'd be a long drive, especially with the route and stops I wanted to make. I got a good start, stopped for gas and at Best Buy to get more memory cards for my camera cause my second one filled up, and hit the Pacific Coast Highway by 11:30 or so.

For those of you who don't know, the Pacific Coast Highway is, as my one friend said, the highway where it just seems like the end of the world fell off. It's a semi-windy road situated on the coast of the Pacific Ocean. I didn't take it from LA all the way up (because that would have taken forever) but I did about 150 miles on it toward my first destination, which was an inn that a friend said had a good deli. I got a wrap and it was only okay, but I'm not sure if it was the right place or not. But before I got there, I stopped at Hearst Castle, which is the place where William Randolph Hearst lived, the real-life inspiration for Citizen Kane. I didn't take a tour because I didn't have the time and didn't want to pay the money, but I got pictures of his castle from the visitor center.



Also, inside they had a fire engine of his for some reason, I guess because why not.





Bathroom movie nerd graffiti.



Views from where I ate lunch on the Pacific Coast Highway.





My next stop was at THE MYSTERY SPOT in Santa Cruz, California. It was (I'm pretty sure) featured in Sam & Max Hit the Road, where you literally change height by walking through different doors. The real life one is just a slanted cabin on a hill that plays with your perceptions of balance and height. It was okay. Cool to say I've been there, but pretty stupid all in all.









My final stop for the day was at O.co Coliseum, the home of the Oakland A's. Another really light crowd, even on Throwback Thursday, which means that we got free peanuts and a scorecard. Good, because $17 to park is ridiculous. How is it only $10 at Dodger Stadium and $17 here?



Miguel Cabrera, who went 4/5 including 2/2 in the 4th inning.



Cabrera on his first-inning single.







Tigers' SP (and one of my favorites) Max Scherzer.



Stomper doing something to a poor A's employee. (Why is their mascot an elephant?)



Stadium at night, after the A's lose.



I wasn't sure if I was gonna spend any time in San Francisco, because I would rather see Crater Lake in Oregon than San Fran, but I decided to drive through it last night and I got a few cool long exposure shots of the Golden Gate Bridge.



Today, I'm off to Redwood National Park (about 5 hours from here) and then getting as close to Crater Lake as I feel like before I get tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment