Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day Thirty-One

I thought that the drive to St. Louis would take 4-4 1/2 hours, but it wound up being just under 3 1/2. Google's timeframes are really weird. I don't really speed, and the actual time just isn't even close. It's really strange. Whatever, it always works out to my advantage.

I had Googled "best burger in St. Louis" and found two places I wanted to try. One of them only offered burgers, though, after 10 p.m. (not really a big problem) three nights a week (that was the problem). I was left with one choice: Home Wine Kitchen.





Their cheeseburger (the only one on the menu) has roasted garlic aioli (which was delicious, even if I didn't know what it was until I asked at the end), cheddar cheese, bacon and A FRIED EGG. It was served alongside home-made potato chips. Mmmm…



Since I was trying to kill time and also trying to make this meal last me two meals, I was talked into dessert: sea salted shortbread cookies with brie cheese, fig jam and roasted almonds. There was a lot of things happening here, and most of it was really good.



My next stop -- my last stop before the Cardinals game -- was at the St. Louis Arch. Lots of pictures from different angles upcoming.







It's 630 feet tall and 630 feet wide, which is how it supports all the weight. For $10 (or $7 if you have a national parks pass), you can take a ride in a tram up to the top and look out. Of course I did that. Photos from the top:









Back on the ground, another shot of the arch.



Redwing blackbird. This bird's wing colors spread when it flew, but I couldn't get an in-focus shot. Still really good looking just sitting there.



Final arch shot.



Old courthouse where the Dred Scott case was tried.



Then I walked over to Busch Stadium, which wouldn't be open for a few hours, so I just hung around.



Weird macaroni art with a really cool warning.





There are a bunch of busts outside the third base entrance to the stadium. Here are a few:









A weird bird thing from a gift shop.



A bigger (than the other busts) bust of Stan Musial.



Stadium interior.





Where I'd wind up eating dinner. Food Network in the house!





Food shots coming later. First, bulid-a-bear in the stadium!



More stadium interior.











Cardinals' starter Jaime Garcia.



Then I got really hungry and went to get a hot dog. It actually looks kind of gross in this picture but it was pretty good: hot dog, "provel" cheese, crunched up spicy chips and BBQ sauce. (It's really good that all I do when I drive is eat apples and carrots (and now I have celery) and fiber bars and drink water, because I really mess my body up with food when I'm out of my car.)



'los!



A weird thing they do with players' eyes when they come up to bat.



Yadier Molina fouling off a pitch.



Night shots from my seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWD7k6TrJ-g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWD7k6TrJ-g


I need to do this with my LeBron jersey.



Jason Motte! First to blow the game, then to win it!



Cardinals win!





Off to Milwaukee tomorrow for some sort of meat, be it burger or brat, and a Brewers game. And beer, of course.

1 comment:

  1. your arch shots are FANTASTIC. and the duct tape jerseys lolol do it.

    ReplyDelete