Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day Twenty-Nine

I'm glad I drove as far as I did last night because I don't know how much more driving I could have done today. It wasn't that much -- it was like 6-6 1/2 hours, about 450 miles -- but it was maybe the most boring drive all trip. (I mean, Interstate-81 down to Tennessee is pretty bad, too, though.)

I got to Kansas City around 3 p.m. and headed over to Oklahoma Joe's BBQ, one of THE best BBQ places in the country. Except when I got there around 3:30, the line was probably 100 people deep and not moving. The Royals game was starting in less than three hours and I wanted to get there early to get the promo gift. So I headed to another supposedly great BBQ place, Papa Bob's BBQ.

It's maybe the best BBQ I've had all trip. I sort of forget what the other BBQ tasted like, but this is definitely up there, right alongside Sweet P's in Knoxville. It was so good that I'm probably going to go back tomorrow. (Also because Oklahoma Joe's isn't open on Sundays.)

I got a pulled pork dinner, with fries and beans. Everything was outstanding. This was another lunch/dinner combo. I ate healthy all morning -- bananas and carrots and fiber bars -- so that sort of made up for this.



I got to Kauffman Stadium around 4:45, in plenty of time for the promo. Here's the stadium during the day:



Really cool design. What I also loved was that this was the most baseball / sports-vibey stadium I've been to. Tons of people tailgating, an overwhelming majority of the fans were for the home team (surprisingly not so in other stadiums), and everyone seemed like they WANTED to be there. It's my favorite stadium and game so far.

George Brett statue inside, past right field.



So, the view from my seat. Eighth row. The ticket retailed for $51, I think, but I got it for like $38 on StubHub, including fees. The best seat I've ever had at an MLB game.



The huge (and super clear) jumbotron in center field, featuring some Royals girl hosting Royals Feud (like Family Feud, but baseball themed? Or something).



THE PROMOTION! ALL-STAR GARDEN GNOME!



More shots of the stadium.





Today's starters: Bruce Chen & Ian Kennedy.





My main guy, Mike Moustakas. (My jersey t-shirt purchase of choice.) He hit a home run! So did Billy Butler, another Royal I like.



The littlest Royals fan.



Billy Butler, after said home run.



Moustakas after his home run.







Chris Getz, the Royals' second baseman, has pretty cool walk-up music. Check it out.



Condiment race. Mustard won.





Cool colored fountains.





The Royals win! Home win #4! Not good! But cool fireworks!

























And the stadium at night.



I'm going to another Royals game tomorrow at 1:10, then I think I'm staying in KC another night. Hooray for little driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment