Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day Twenty-One

If you love weird and goofy roadside attractions like i do, then Highway 101 in northern California is the place to be. There are SO MANY weird things that pop up every few miles that it's great. Apparently, though, by taking this road I missed the bottom half of the Redwood National Forest. Whatever. THIS IS AMERICANA.

Weird fly art!





Confusion Hill! The same thing I paid $5 for at Mystery Spot I paid $5 at today!



The largest free-standing chainsaw-cut sculpture in the world, supposedly.



More Confusion Hill.









Shoe at Confusion Hill, I guess because why not?



One stop that I didn't photograph: a home made from one tree. It looked like (as I drove by) a redwood-ish tree, on its side, with a home inside? I think.

Next stop: Bigfoot!



Mostly it was just a gift shop.

I aimed to eat lunch in Eureka, California, because it's a cool town name and also because it was about four hours from where I started my trip. I wanted to go to some cafe that was highly rated on Urban Spoon but it was closed, so I went to an old-timey burger place. The burger was okay but the decor was cool!



Next stop: Trees of Mystery! Didn't have the time to find out what they were, but I stopped because there was a huge Paul Bunyan and Ox in their front lot.









Drove up some more on the 101 and saw sights reminiscent of the Pacific Coast Highway.





I got to the information center for Redwood National Park that I had GPS'd, and the guy gave me some areas to slightly backtrack to and then drive through to see some cool things and set me on my way to my ultimate destination, Crater Lake (where I'll be tomorrow morning).



















Then I got to the actual forest. There are three major roads in the forests that wind through no-cut zones, where the trees are the oldest and have never been disturbed. It's hard to gauge the scale of these, but I tried my best to get some frame of reference in there.





Oh this is fun. It might not work as much as a game if you click too fast, but click on the first picture and try to figure out how big that stump is. Click on the second picture and see my hat as a way of gauging size. Incredible.





More shots of trees.





After leaving Redwood, I drove all the way to Crater Lake, stopping for mediocre pizza along the way. (I was mostly curious as to how it would be, and it wasn't great. I miss NYC pizza.) I had to drive around for about an hour to find a motel that was open, but I found one! So here I am. Crater Lake tomorrow, then Portland, then staying at a friend's place.

No comments:

Post a Comment